Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Review: Abita Abbey Ale

Abbey Ale honors the ancient tradition of monks who perfected the art of brewing beer to support the monastery and their "liquid bread". We offer up our support and thank them with a 25¢ donation to St. Joseph's Abbey with every bottle sold of this heavenly brew. Dark amber in color, the aroma of caramel, fruits and cloves invites you to contemplate the creamy head of this "Dubbel" or double ale. Abita Abbey Ale is a malty brew, top-fermented and bottle aged to rapturous perfection. This ale pairs well with barbecue, meat stews or a nice thick steak. For dessert, try Abita Abbey Ale with milk chocolate or chocolate bread pudding. We suggest serving this brew at 46 degrees. 
8%ABV
32 IBU
Abita.com 
Analysis:
     I went into this one with an uneasy feeling considering Abita has not impressed me in the past. CAUTION: Beware of the explosion when opening this beer make sure you are near a sink. After cleaning up the mess I made I finally got to tasting it. It delivered a sweet blow which flowed nicely into a array of fruitiness. The sweetness nor the fruitiness dominated leading to a nice balance. I usually shy away from a dubbel but this one is a gem. I am now eager to try Abita's other big beers Andygator and Save our shore. I hope I can find them around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment